Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pumpkin Pancakes


It's definitely Fall now here in St. Louis. The weather has finally decided to cool off and more and more of the beautifully colored leaves can be seen on the ground than in the trees. I guess it was this sudden change in weather and atmosphere that really put me in the mood for pumpkin flavored food. I bought a can of pumpkin last weekend at the store and it's been calling my name from the pantry ever since!
I didn't want to do the same old pumpkin bread that I do every year. This year I was in the mood for something different. After searching through pumpkin recipes, I finally narrowed it down to three that looked absolutely delicious. I know pancakes aren't far from bread, but pumpkin pancakes are something that I have never made before. Since it is the easiest of the three pumpkin recipes I'm trying to do this year, I decided to do them first. (That and we needed something for breakfast this morning) Hopefully I get around to the other two within the next month!


I gathered everything we would need and Logan helped me mix up the batter! He is such a good helper!
After we made the first few round of pancakes, I had an idea! Why not try some with dark chocolate chips? You know, for the antioxidants. *cough, cough* excuse me. 

Logan tossed them on and we waited patiently while they cooked. When they were done they were not as good as I had hoped, so I decided to save the rest of the dark chocolate chips for something else more worthy. We continued making the rest of the batter into pancakes as planned. When they were finished they were a beautiful golden/orange color and they were so YUMMY! Logan ate 5 of them!
So this is the recipe I used this morning and it is from stockpilingmoms.com (Thanks for the deliciousness that is this recipe!):

Easy Pumpkin Pancakes
2 cups all-purpose or whole-wheat flour
2 TBSP Sugar
1 TBSP Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
2 beaten Eggs
2 cups Milk
2 TBSP Oil
1 can Pumpkin
1 tsp cinnamon
1 TBSP Vanilla
In a mixing bowl add all of the ingredients above. Mix with an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes. Batter will be slightly lumpy. Pour about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle. Cook till pancakes till golden brown, turn when pancakes have a bubbly surface and slightly dry edges. Makes approximately 20 pancakes.

The only thing I would have done differently would have been to use applesauce instead of the oil, but I didn't have any on hand. They were still quite delicious. We ate these without syrup and the flavor was perfectly pumpkin! They probably would have been awesome with some homemade whipping cream...mmmmm! Since I froze the leftovers, I may have to try that when i bring them out for the second time!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...