Thursday, March 15, 2012

Easy Irish Soda Bread


One of my favorite holidays, St. Patrick's Day... a time for all things green, Irish dancing, BEER, corned beef and cabbage, and one of my favorites... Irish soda bread!

I found this recipe three years ago and have used it ever since. I changed it up a little this time by using homemade buttermilk. I didn't have any buttermilk and I had an extra kid here today so I couldn't run out to get some. I improvised by adding 1 T. lemon juice plus enough milk to make a cup and letting it sit. I also did this for the 1/4 C. buttermilk that the recipe called for. The bread is not as tangy as it was when I made it with real buttermilk, but either way it's delicious and easy to make! The hardest thing about making this bread is waiting for it to come out of the oven!

I don't know how 'traditional' this is, but I DO know that it has become a family favorite around here. I only make it once a year to keep it a special holiday treat. (otherwise I would eat too much of it!)

Easy Irish Soda Bread (source: allrecipes)
  • 4 C. flour
  • 4 T sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 T. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 C. margarine or butter, softened
  • 1 C. buttermilk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 C. butter, melted
  • 1/4 C. buttermilk  
Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and butter. Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk and egg. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly. Form dough into a round and place on prepared baking sheet. 
Combine melted butter with 1/4 cup buttermilk; brush loaf with this mixture. Use a sharp knife to cut an 'X' into the top of the loaf.   
Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Continue to brush the loaf with the butter mixture while it bakes.(about every 10 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...