Thursday, February 23, 2012

Crockpot Philly Cheesesteak Soup


First and foremost, I LOVE my crockpot! Today was the first day in awhile that the weather was beautiful! I'm glad we got out and enjoyed it since tomorrow's high is going to be 25-30 degrees cooler than today's was. I had planned to make a crockpot meal one day this week and I think I picked the perfect day to do it!  We were out until dinner time and it was so nice to walk into the house to the smell of dinner already cooked!

We usually do chicken in the crockpot and this was a nice change. It actually may be a new family favorite! I love when something so simple gets put into our rotation of meals!


Crockpot Philly Cheesesteak Soup (adapted from crockpot365)
  • 1 LB. thinly cut beef strips (I used beef chuck steaks that I cut with kitchen shears) 
  • 4 beef bouillon cubes
  • 4 C. hot water
  • 2 C. skim or 2% milk 
  • 1 T butter 
  • 1 yellow onion, cut in chunks2 bell peppers 
  • 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce 
  • 3 cloves chopped garlic 
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt
  • small slices of french bread that will fit in the soup bowl (I used the end of a loaf)  
  • enough provolone cheese to top each portion
  • garlic salt
  • butter


Add the butter to your crockpot and turn it on high to melt. Cut up your meat and add it to the crock, swirling it into the butter to coat. Add the chopped peppers, onion, garlic, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper. Put the 4 bouillon cubes into the boiling water. Stir it for about 30 seconds and then dump it into the crock. Stir in the milk.

Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours, or on high for 5-6. The soup is done when the meat has reached the desired tenderness.

When the soup is finished, take the slices of french bread and spread butter and sprinkle with garlic salt. Place under the broiler until it has started to brown.

Ladle the soup into bowls. Place the french bread slices on top of each bowl of soup to soak up some of the broth and sprinkle with the cheese. ENJOY!


Don't judge a book by it's cover! I know it doesn't look all that tasty...but it is delicious! This recipe impressed my husband and myself. Extremely good for the lack of time it took to put it all together. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...