Saturday, February 4, 2012

Roasted Chickpeas (garbonzo beans)


Crispy, crunchy, healthy snack! Now that's what I like to hear!
I came across this recipe for roasted chickpeas and within a few days my mother-in-law offered me a can a chickpeas that she wasn't planning on using. Coincidence? I think not! While reading through the reviews I realized that the flavoring possibilities were basically endless! I decided to stick with the basic recipe for my first attempt. I did, however, take the advice of one reviewer and use a little bit less olive oil to receive the maximum crunch in the final product.



 Roasted Chickpeas- (simple roasted chickpeas)

  • 2 tsp. olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 pinch sea salt
  • 1 pinch ground black pepper
  • 1 dash crushed red pepper
  • 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas

Drain, rinse, and pat the chickpeas dry, set aside.
Whisk together all of the dry ingredients and oil.
Toss the chickpeas in the mixture until fully coated.
Spread chickpeas onto a baking sheet and bake for 40-50 min.
Stir them about every 10 minutes to be sure they are cooking evenly.
Watch closely towards the end and pull them out when they are browned and slightly crispy.


I'm not sure if it was because I cut back on the amount of olive oil, left them in the oven for a few minutes too long, or if they were supposed to be how they turned out, but they were pretty dry and a lot of the seasonings fell off. That being said, to me, they were still addictive! They have a great crunch and I think if I test these out a few more times using different seasonings I will find a recipe that I absolutely love. As a matter of fact, I may go buy another can to make another batch for our road trip on Monday. Next time I will just be using olive oil and sea salt. If you have any other seasoning suggestions or flavors you have tried, feel free to leave a comment!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...