Monday, February 27, 2012

Homemade Oatmeal Cream Pie Cookies



Who remembers those Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies from their childhood? I remember thinking they were the greatest things ever! Finding a special treat like that in my lunch box was always a nice surprise. (BTW- thanks Mom, for all that you did and all that you still do!) Since I now do a lot of baking I cringe at the thought of the processed, mass produced cookies. But why couldn't I make a homemade version? Turns out I can! And they are delicious.

I found this recipe and sent it to my husband to see if he'd like me to make them. He replied in a one word e-mail that just said, "YES"! It was on!

These cookies turned out magnificent. They are not as squishy as the store bought oatmeal cream pies and the flavor is bumped up a notch by the fact that they are fresh baked. Maybe I can use this recipe to surprise my kids with a special treat in their lunchboxes one day, just like my Mom used to do for us!


Oatmeal Cream Pie Cookies (source:oatmeal cream pies)

1 1/4 C. butter, softened
1 C. brown sugar, packed
1/2 C. sugar
1 1/2 C. flour
3 C. oats
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375.
Cream butter and sugar. Mix in egg and vanilla. Spoon flour into dry measuring cups and level with a knife. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix in oats until well coated.
Add to creamed butter mixture and blend.
Drop by tablespoonful, two inches apart onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 10 minutes. Leave on pan to cool for two minutes. Transfer to wire racks to finish cooling.


Cream Filling 

1/2 C. butter, softened
2 C. powdered sugar
2 T. whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla


Combine all. Beat on low until mixed and then on high until light and fluffy.
Spread 1 T. (or more) cream filling between two cookies. ENJOY! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...