Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pina Colada Cupcakes


On Superbowl Sunday there was a fun party over at my sister-in-law's house. It doubled as a birthday party for my father-in-law and nephew as well. I was making the chocolate chocolate chip cookie dough cake for my nephew and was trying to think of an "adult" dessert that I could serve for my father-in-law. After a few days of brainstorming with my husband, we decided to go with some tropical inspired flavors. I started researching coconut and pineapple cupcakes. I then had a friend of mine request that I make a strawberry daiquiri cupcake. (I will get around to that eventually) This immediately made a light bulb go on in my head and the perfect idea popped out! A pina colada cupcake is just the sweet treat I had been trying to think of. 

I tried searching online for a pina colada cupcake and this was the only one I found. It's not exactly what I had in mind, but I was running short on time to actually buy the ingredients and make the cupcakes before the party. For now, here is what I made!


Pina Colada Cupcakes (source: Glorious Treats- pina colada cupcakes)

Pineapple Cupcakes 
2 1/2 C. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs
1 3/4 C. sugar
1 C. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 C. sour cream
1 1/2 C. canned crushed pineapple (drained slightly)

Directions-
Preheat oven to 350.

Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar on medium speed until slightly thickened and a light cream color (about 2 minutes).

Mix in the oil and vanilla until blended.

Add in the pineapple and sour cream and mix until fully incorporated.

Add the flour mixture and blend just until smooth, don't over beat it.

Line a cupcake pan with paper liners or spray cupcake cavities with non-stick cooking spray and fill about 2/3 full with batter.

Bake cupcakes for about 22 minutes or until they spring back when touched on the top.

Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.

Recipe yields 24-28 cupcakes.

 

Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 C. butter, at room temperature
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp. coconut extract
4 C. powdered sugar
1 T. heavy whipping cream -or- 1 T. dark rum

Directions-
Beat butter in large mixing bowl until smooth. Add cream cheese and beat until well blended, about 30 seconds.

Add vanilla and coconut extracts and blend on low speed until incorporated.

Add powdered sugar (1 C. at a time) on low speed until combined. Increase to medium speed and beat until it begins to get fluffy.

Slowly add the heavy cream or rum. (I used heavy cream-next time I will try with the rum)

Beat until fluffy, about 1 minute.

Frost cupcakes or keep refrigerated if not using right away.

Decorate cupcakes as you wish. I decorated mine with toasted coconut, maraschino cherries w/stems, drink umbrellas, and some with straws to make them look like the drink you would order at a bar.


These turned out FANTASTIC! The adults that tried them loved them and the kids just ate the cherries off of the tops of them! Since the kids didn't like them anyways, next time I will try these as I had envisioned them, drunken pina colada cupcakes with rum mixed in. Can't wait! YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...