Friday, February 17, 2012

Salted Caramel Chunky Chocolate Chip Cookies


Unfortunately we live far away from a big portion of our family and friends so they miss out on the majority of little goodies that I make year round. (their waistlines are probably happy that we don't live any closer, though!) When we were just back visiting I decided that they needed a treat and this is what I came up with.... salted caramel chocolate chip cookies. I figured it had been done before so I started doing some research. The first recipe that I came across sounded so good that I decided to just make a few changes and go for it!
 

Salted Caramel Chunky Chocolate Chip Cookies (adapted from salted caramel dark chocolate chunk cookies)

2 sticks butter, softened
3/4 C. granulated sugar
1 C. packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 T. vanilla
1/4 C. Hershey's caramel sauce
3 3/4 C. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
12 oz. bag mini chocolate chips
1 baker's semi-sweet chocolate bar, shaved /chunked


1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a stand or electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars until well combined.  Beat in the caramel sauce until fully incorporated. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.































2.  Place the flour, salt and baking soda into a large bowl; mix.  Slowly add to wet ingredients then the chocolate chips.  Save chunks for later.


3.  Place 1/4 Cup of cookie dough for each cookie onto a cookie sheet. Press dough down and form into a cookie shape. These spread pretty far when they bake. 6 cookies will fit on a regular sized sheet. Sprinkle with a pinch or two of sea salt then press chocolate chunks over top.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until just golden around edges. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.



















Yields about 18 Large cookies


The timer that I set didn't go off for the first batch that I made (I set it for 12 hours instead of 12 minutes, whoops!) I think I pulled them out around 15 minutes and they were crunchy but tasted excellent! The next few batches I pulled out right at 12 minutes and they were a little bit chewier and still had a great taste. I actually made a few minis with the little bit of dough I had left after making the 18 cookies. I baked them for about 8 minutes and they were perfectly (dangerous) popable little bite sized  treats! Next time I think I will make the whole batch as tiny cookies.(And promptly give away as many as I can before I eat them all!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...