Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Spinach Bacon Quiche


Tonight we were lucky that a dinner that didn't consist of frozen pizza made it to the table! The boys and I were out running errands all day -play date, doctor, Target, grocery store- and of course forgot to pull some meat out of the freezer before leaving the house this morning. While starring blankly into the refrigerator trying to figure out something to make, the corner of a red box on the lowest shelf caught my eye. It was a pie crust. At that moment I remembered that my wonderful husband had gotten me a quiche pan for Christmas that I hadn't used yet! I immediately thought to myself, "I'm making quiche!"

I called Steve into the kitchen to find out what he wanted in the quiche. He pulled out a pile of food and placed it on the counter and said, "Anything in this pile is good. It doesn't have to be everything." Out of his pile I chose bacon, onions, spinach, and Parmesan cheese. This is what was created:


Spinach Bacon Quiche (adapted from Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook-Spinach Quiche recipe)

1 pie crust (Homemade or store bought)
1 medium-large onion, diced
6 slices bacon, chopped
8 beaten eggs
1/4 C. sour cream
1/4 C. heavy whipping cream
1/2 C. 2% milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
3/4 package of frozen, chopped spinach, thawed
heaping 2/3 C. Parmesan cheese

preheat oven to 450.
Roll the pie crust into the quiche pan. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 4-5 minutes more or until pastry is set and dry. Reduce oven temperature to 325.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook onion and bacon. I cooked them on a low-med. heat until they were almost done and then cranked up the heat and let it char a little bit of the bacon, not burn. (This really gave the whole dish a little bit of a smokey flavor.) Drain on paper towels.

In a bowl whisk together eggs, sour cream, whipping cream, salt, and pepper. Stir in onion mixture, spinach, and cheese.

Pour the egg mixture into the baked, hot pie shell and bake for 35-50 min. or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. (directions said 45-50 min. but I checked mine around 40 and it was done! That's why I'm saying 35-50 minutes.) Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

This delicious, mouth watering meal took awhile to make, but was totally worth it. All the time that it was in the oven, I got the kitchen cleaned up and the table set. It worked out perfect. I can't wait for breakfast tomorrow to see if the leftovers are just as good as the first time around!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...