Friday, February 24, 2012

Green Monster Smoothie Project


After seeing these green monster smoothies all over the Internet, I decided I would give them a try. They are packed full of all natural ingredients so it can't be that bad, right? The spinach and kale used in these recipes were the two things that made me nervous to try them. Turns out they aren't half bad. Kind of good, actually! Who knew. You really have to find the right flavor/texture combo to suit your tastes. A little trial and error is the easiest way to do that. I told myself I would give these a one week trial period. Here is what I made!

The recipes over at green monster movement gave me tons of inspiration.

MONDAY- Fruity Green Monster

2 handfuls spinach
6 oz. peach Chobani
1 banana
1 handful blackberries


comments: Not as tasty as I thought it would be. Maybe if I had used plain yogurt.

TUESDAY- Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Green Monster

2 handfuls spinach
1 handful kale
1 T. peanut butter
1/4 C. old fashioned oats, cooked for 3 min. with 1/2 C. skim milk
1/2 banana
 

comments: The texture was not bad, but if I make this one again I would not cook the oats. I will grind them in the food processor first.

WEDNESDAY- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Green Monster

2 handfuls spinach
1 handful kale
1 C. frozen strawberries
1 C. skim milk
1 packet Chocolate Carnation Instant Breakfast


comments: VERY GOOD! I blended it awhile longer than the others and I think the milk made it become light and fluffy. Had to eat with a spoon because I didn't have a straw wide enough to productively get it to my mouth!

THURSDAY- Chocolate Blueberry Banana Green Monster

2 handfuls spinach
1 handful kale
6 oz. plain Greek yogurt
1/2 C. blueberries
1/2 banana
2 T. Chocolate Carnation Instant Breakfast


comments: Pretty tasty. I think I'm getting the hang of making these! I really like the texture and flavor the Greek yogurt brings to the table.

FRIDAY- Tropical Green Monster

2 handfuls spinach
1 handful kale
1 banana
1 C. frozen Mango
1 C. skim milk


comments: Light and fluffy. Tasty.

I wasn't so sure about them at the start of the week, but my perspective has changed. I think these smoothies are growing on me and because of all of the benefits, they would be hard to give up. Out of all of the flavors I tried, I think the ones from Wednesday and Friday were my favorite. That being said, I really enjoyed the texture from Monday and Thursday. I think I will try almond milk in the future as well. I am still in search of MY green monster flavor of choice, but I'm sure if I keep trying different flavors I will come up with one soon enough!

In additional news, I haven't craved sweets at all this week and that is unheard of for me! I also have remained full from breakfast up until lunch and snacked much less during the day! The other change in me I have noticed is an increase in my energy levels!

If you have a favorite way of making these, please leave it in a comment below! I would love to try it out!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see more posts on your blog and pix too. Dina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...